SeeMeCNC H-1 Header

SeeMeCNC H-1 3D Printer Project (hardware and plastic construction)

I received my H-1 Hardware and Plastic kit from SeeMeCNC in the post about three weeks ago, but decided to wait until they posted the build instructions before building the machine. Two weeks ago, they posted the instructions, and I got to work putting it together.

First off, I believe the part count for the H-1 is much higher than that of the RepRap Mendel (and probably the other RepRaps as well). But following the instructions was simple, and construction was much more satisfying than the Mendel. Only a few holes needed drilling, and bending the threaded rods was actually quite simple. (more…)

Read More

RepRap + SPaRC

RepRap Prusa Mendel Project (PLA bushing help)

The chassis/frame for the RepRap has been mostly put together, but I ran into a small problem with the PLA bushings that I received with my printed plastic parts. They were of very low print quality, looked terrible, and would not slide at all on the smooth rod. I was able to get them to work beautifully on the smooth rod after I ‘repaired’ them, so I’m going to share that process:

The bushings would not completely fit on the smooth rods because there was small bits of plastic in the way, so I took a piece of leftover threaded rod (or just use a leg on your frame if you have no more threaded rod), and forcefully slid each bushing back and forth across the rod. This removed imperfections in the plastic and allowed the bushings to slide gracefully across the smooth rods. Bushings, saved!

Looking at these bushings, however, I think one of the first upgrades to the RepRap will be replacing the x-axis and y-axis bushings with linear bearings, so that they will not have to be replaced as often. Some new parts will have to be printed to hold the bearings, but that is further down the road.

Read More