The electronics setup that I decided to go with for this RepRap build was the RAMPS 1.4 platform. I ordered the RAMPS 1.4 DIY Kit Complete from Ultimachine with optical endstops and the pre-soldered SMT components. I did feel that it was worth $15 of my time and frustration trying to figure out how to solder all of those tiny parts, and I think it was a good choice. Perhaps the next build will involve using the re-flow oven, but that’s another story. (more…)
All of the ordered parts (electronics, steppers, hotend, plastic parts) have come in! Everything looks great, and Ultimachine even sent samples of green and white PLA to test things with! Also, I would like to give thanks to MakerGear for their neatly organized parts and a surprise chocolate square.
I will start soldering the electronics next and will update when that is finished.
Yesterday, I sent in the purchase order for most of the parts of the RepRap. It was decided that the SAE (imperial) version of the Prusa Mendel would be much more feasible here in the United States, mainly because it is harder to acquire metric nuts and bolts cheaply. The build is practically the same, with differently-sized holes in the plastic parts. (more…)
My budget/proposal was approved yesterday, so today I begin working on building a RepRap Prusa Mendel. The RepRap is a “Self-Replicating Rapid Prototyping Machine”, otherwise known as a three-dimensional printer. The project will be funded by Auburn University’s Student Projects and Research Committee (AU SPaRC), thanks to the very generous donations by Julian and Dorothy Davidson, and by Charlie and Jane Stringfellow. We are quite gracious for your support!
I will update this site often with the project’s progress, as well as the AU SPaRC website (hopefully!). For more information on the RepRap and on the project itself, keep reading after the break. (more…)